After learning that users have to individually calculate how much each person owes for the food and other fees, we wanted to find out how to incorporate a way to split bills within the Grubhub app.
Users don't have an efficient way of splitting the bill with friends after ordering food.
Create a seamless bill splitting option to calculate the dishes and splitting evenly or by dish and allow users to charge others on Venmo.
I conducted 9 interviews on individuals who have used at least one food delivery app. They talked about their experiences with the apps and what factors were important for them.
Some questions asked:
- Can you tell me about your experience with these apps?
- If you use multiple apps, how do you decide which one to order from?
- In what situation would you order food from a food delivery app?
- Do you order it for yourself, with friends/family or for friends/family?
- How do you communicate what to order when ordering in groups?
- How do people pay the person ordering back?
- Positive and negative, favorite and least favorite parts? What motivates you to download an app?
The 9 interviewees were asked to do usability testing on Grubhub. I got to see how they interacted with the app and what type of things stood out to them.
Comments from testing:
- Too much text
- Looks like a new app
- People didn't realize some things were clickable (Stars, changing to pick up option)
- There's a lot going on in the filters
- Some people liked that there was a lot of information that's shown on the first screen
- People would pass phone around when ordering in groups (to make sure they're ordering from app menu and not the in-person restaurant menu)
- The app is not super intuitive
- People ordering in groups would calculate the cost and pay back through Venmo
- Yelp is used for reviews on restaurants before ordering
- High costs on delivery fees and other fees tend to push people away from using the app
- Group orderings - cheaper to split up the fees
- Factors for ordering: what is open, what cuisines they are craving, and food restrictions
- It's frustrating when restaurant menu and app menu is different
- When people are extremely hungry and have nothing in the fridge, they would like to quickly order something
People have a lot of trouble when it comes to bill splitting, so we decided to focus on designing a bill splitting feature within Grubhub.
Since a majority of people use Venmo as a money exchanging method, it should be incorporated into how people are charged after the split is calculated.
In this ideation stage, my teammate Louisa and I did interactive paper wireframing to quickly design the necessary screens.
I made a prototype of the initial designs on Invision and used that to test the designs and interactions on 7 people.
Splitting By Dish
- Testers loved that we solved a problem that most people tend to avoid - calculating is too difficult
- Manually entering more than 2-3 names is frustrating
- "Me" (the user) and "Friends" should be defined differently - the user behaves differently from friends (cannot charge themselves on Venmo)
- There should be an interaction showing when two people share a dish
- Users like to have confirmation - make sure to let them know what is happening
- It would be nice to show all totals and dishes for people splitting the bill
- Venmo should look more like a button
- "By Dish" makes people think dishes will come up first
- Users like that they can share a dish
- Show how much each dish is as dishes are added to a person
- Show how much each person owes immediately and display their dishes are
- Let users know that totals include tax, tip, and other fees
- Clearly show when two people are sharing a dish
- Take out the extra step of "Calculate"
- Explain that friends can be added from the user's address book and/or be typed in manually
Splitting By Dish
Redesigned the confirmation page
- Estimated delivery time
- Included a simple tracker
- Simplified order summary
- Bigger text for easier readability
- Included Split My Bill button to immediately split the bill
Split My Bill - Evenly
- Total displayed at top
- Enter split by how many
- Quickly see how much each person pays
- Request in Venmo right away
Split My Bill - By Dish
- (Me) would be displayed first
- Add friends from address book and/or type in names manually
- Under each name, users can assign dishes to friends
- Dish names shown for confirmation of the dishes ordered
- Dishes can be shared between two people
- Calculations displayed as dishes are assigned to people
- Taxes and fees are shown for each person
- Request how much individuals owe through Venmo - Individually charged